Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hail Hephaestus!

Last Saturday was the Hellenion Libation to Hephaestus.  Every month, the group makes a libation on the second Saturday to one of the Olympian gods.  It is their way of making sure that all twelve get honored during the year.  

Saturday I lit a candle and incense for Hephaestus.  My son and I went to a program at the library called "Making Things:  Smaller."  It was a Nova program about how electronics are getting smaller and nanotechnology.  Then they had some hands on exhibits that my kiddo thought were cool.  What better way to spend a day for Hephaestus!

I’ve also started creating pages in my Book of Shadows.  Each God will have prayers, pictures, and information all in one spot.  I’m still working on Hephaestus, and I have to redo Hera’s (and start Aphrodite’s) because I switched the size of my binder.  

Hephaestus is one of my favorite Gods.  I’ve never quite figured out why, other than he doesn’t look perfect and can make the most wonderful things.  I’m a crafter and I should probably honor Athena more than I do, but when I think of crafting, I think of Hephaestus.  He is the builder, the creator, the mechanic, and the tech guy.  He rules over my computers, cars, and electronics.  He guides the hands of those who work to save us.

Last summer, he was with the techs who restored clean drinking water to my town three days earlier than expected. 

I pray he is with the rescuers and techs in Japan now, helping them restore power and search the wreckage safely.  May he slide through the wires and keep them running.

Yesterday I prayed to Hephaestus and others not just for Japan, but for my grandfather.  They thought he had a heart attack but now aren’t so sure.  If there was ever a man in my life who embodied Hephaestus, it is my grandfather.  He is 76 years old and recently returned to building and racing sprint cars.  He has always been a mechanic type guy, and he likes to create things.  He made lamp shades out of decorative pots and beads.  He made a ‘switchblade’ out of Popsicle sticks and rubber bands.  He seems like he will be okay, and I am eternally grateful.

This week:  Worked on Hephaestus BoS page.  Prayed for Japan and my grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment