Friday, May 20, 2011

Prepare Yourself


 
Some groups are saying that the Mayans are a little late to the game and that the Rapture begins May 21, 2011 at 6pm.  The end of the world is coming, they say, and we have to be prepared.

These groups get made fun of, get called crazy, and yet I think they still put all of us on edge – even if we don’t know it.  Those other groups who will be having Rapture parties and loudly laughing could be doing so as a way of demanding something happens, and when/if it doesn’t, they can put those who believe down even further.

As a Pagan, I don’t think an almighty god will sweep down and cherry pick those who believe in him the fiercest.  I don’t believe that the world will end by the hand of an angry sky god to wipe away all the sinners.  I do believe that the world will end, someday, and that on another day, our way of life will change dramatically.

But because I do not believe in the Rapture, do I have the right to make fun of those who do?  I have laughed at them, and been a little bit frightened, and shook my head, but then I stop and realize that they are merely presenting their case. 

They don’t believe what I believe, in the power of a simple wind, in the sacredness of a living tree.  I would be upset if they laughed at my religion or my choice to use reusable bags at the supermarket.  I have supported Pagan Pride Day and Pagan Coming Out Day as a way of teaching that we are a faith just like any other.  And to reach that level of understanding and acceptance, we need to show others the same thing.

We need to treat others the way we want to be treated.

So on Saturday, I will not be attending the Rapture or a Rapture party.  I will be buying tomatoes, hauling dirt, and finishing my bug out bag so I can be prepared for whatever disaster the mama planet throws at us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment